Friday, March 25, 2011

Welcome to the Challenge!

     In summer of 2010, I found myself chubby, single, and crying on the corer of 11th street in New York City. In that instant of my life I felt defeated. I was a twenty-six year old waitress making barley enough money to afford the mold in my bathtub. I had moved to the city the previous year full of hope and new beginnings, as all of us do. The experience however can be summed up by the words of Charles Dickens,
"We spent as much money as we could and got as little for it as people could make up their minds to give us. We were always more or less miserable, and most of our acquaintances were in the same condition. There was a gay fiction among us that we were constantly enjoying ourselves, and a skeleton truth that we never did. To the best of my belief, our case was in the last aspect a rather common one."
                                            Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

     After going to the wedding of the boy I loved in high school, watching my baby sister graduate from college and getting a letter from my vet addressed to Katie Drennen, my gay roommates last name, you can understand the breakdown on 11th street. I did not. I could not understand why I was always single, always struggling with my weight. Dare I say it, struggling to succeed. What do I do? How do I get out of this hole I'm in?

    That was almost a year ago. I will say I have lost 30 lbs well 25-30 depending on time of the month and if the guy I'm, whatever we are doing, decides to text me back that day or not. You know how it is. But lets be honest, I'm still chubby, still single, and now I am a 27 year old waitress. SHIT! A whole year went by with nothing to show for it, never again. I have spent my life taking care of others, doing what everyone else wants to do, living my life through the happiness of others. Well today I am putting myself on the list. In fact, I am putting myself number one on the list.

    I have decided to challenge myself with the first challenge being, gulp, bikini ready in 50 days. I am going to follow weight watchers and do yoga for the next 50 days. This challenge is not to attract a man, it is for me only. I have never worn a bikini in public and its now or never before I get too saggy. Time to breath and refocus, step out and look at my life. I am worthy and deserve this and will never again let anyone, especially a man, tell me different.

Day 1 starts Monday with weigh-in and pictures.

All I wanna know is, who's coming with me?

3 comments:

  1. Pictures! Ahhh I don't know Katie....it all sounds so great and I wanna be on board with you but I don't know if I can do the picture thing...ugh....let me think about it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to post pictures or tell your weight if you don't want to. I'm doing it to be as honest with this journey as possible. Just your friendship and support is all I need!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my HERO! Go get 'em, girl!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete